Saturday, October 9, 2010

Friday in Paris

Saturday saw us have a reasonably early start, as we were collected by our guide for the day, Catherine. What a delighful lady and what knowledge she has of her beloved Paris.

First we took a drive around the city highlights, with a stop for pics of the Eiffel Tower.

Then it was on around the city to see the highlights. The traffic island at the Arc du Triomphe is enormous. It has at least 5 lanes, but the drivers are crazy. There were masses of riot police gearing up for a protest rally.



We stopped near the Champs Elysee for lunch before heading out to the Palace of Versailles. Wow! What an ornate place. My friend Sue (used to live in Thorndon, Wellington) caught up with us there too. Sue & Warwick live nearby.
The opulence is incredible. All that for one family.


These photos are in the Hall of Mirrors.

We were back at the hotel around 6.30pm. The weather was a bit damp, but Paula & Robyn & I decided to head to the Louvre. Well, I only went because it was there and after 6pm it's only 6 euro entry fee. Friday the galleries are open until 10pm. This was another of those OMG moments. I had never expected to be wow-ed by the Louvre. but I was.
To stand 3 metres from the Mona Lisa, or right beside the Venus de Milo, is just incredible, as is the size of the place. We got lost several times.
No photos until I can figure how to get them from my mobile to my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment